Evgeniya A. Sherina,
Head of Department
The Department of Russian Language is a division of the School of Core Engineering Education at the National Research Tomsk Polytechnic University.
The Department of Russian Language was founded in 2017 by merging the Department of Russian as a Foreign Language (including Russian Language Testing Center), the Interdisciplinary Department and the Pre-University Department.
The proportion of PhD lecturers in the faculty is 75,5 %.
|Tomsk Polytechnic University (TPU)|
With a great experience in international education, TPU is ranked one of the three best universities in Russia in terms of the number of foreign students. High rates of success within international education are achieved due to the focused work on the development of a multicultural educational environment, that is attractive to international students.
Main activities and responsibilities
- Russian language for international students (Pre-bachelor and Pre-master training courses);
- Russian language for international students for all fields of studies (Bachelor and Master programs);
- Russian language and Literature for international exchange students;
- Training support for international students in general scientific and professional disciplines within Pre-bachelor and Pre-master training courses;
- PhD program in the field 45.06.01 Linguistics and Literary Studies;
- Additional educational program «A translator in the sphere of professional communication (Russian language)» (for international students);
- Courses for international students: individual courses; special courses in Russian literature and culture, linguistic and cultural studies; Summer and Winter language schools;
- Professional training programs;
- Pre-University courses for international students in engineering, humanitarian, economic, medical and biological fields (Pre-bachelor and Pre-master training courses);
- Academic, medical, social, psychological and cultural adaptation and support for international students;
- Extracurricular activities for international students;
- A complex exam in Russian language, History of Russia, Fundamentals of Russian Legislation to get a work permit/patent, temporary residence permits;
- Tests in order to qualify for Russian citizenship;
- Test for international students to determine the level of their Russian language proficiency.
Main scientific areas of study
- Psycholinguistic and cognitive peculiarities of teaching non-native languages
- Theory and methods of teaching Russian as a foreign language
- Methods of teaching foreign students in non-native languages
- Methodology of teaching and improving academic, social, cultural, and psychological adaptation of international students at Russian universities
- Creating a Linguistic map of the world
- A conceptosphere of Russian culture
- Russian language abroad.
- Building language contacts
The following international projects are implemented in this department:
- Within the agreement framework with Shenyang Polytechnic University (PRC), TPU lecturers annually conduct classes in Mathematics, Physics, and special disciplines for students studying within a “2 + 2” program.
- In the framework of Shenyang Polytechnic University, TPU lecturers conduct classes in Russian within a “2 + 2” program during the academic year as well as language training for students who plan to study at TPU.
The Department regularly organises international scientific-methodological and practical seminars and conferences for TPU staff members, and other Tomsk universities and regions of the Russian Federation on teaching Russian as a foreign language and disciplines in non-native languages.